On Lady Gaga and her admirersPosted: March 5, 2016
1. The music, and the videos, are crap.
2. Lots of academics write in patronising terms on this in order to be seen to be ‘down with the kids’. The result is like a vicar trying to do pop in order to attract a larger congregation.
3. Those who fawn over Gaga are like bloated spoilt children who gorge themselves on McDonald’s and KFC.
4. They would all do better to read Hegel, Shakespeare, Joyce, Gertrude Stein, look at Titian, Vermeer, Cézanne, Mondrian, listen to Pérotin, Gabrieli, Rameau, Beethoven, Ravel, Maderna, Louis Armstrong and Cecil Taylor.
5. Cultural sociologists who foam at the mouth at the above know Jack Shit.
6. Concentrate instead on Syrian refugees and the possibility of a President Trump. And working conditions in HE.
7. All the political capital you would like to claim through writing on Lady Gaga is negated when you cross picket lines.